Thursday, June 24, 2010

We are here!

Ashley and I flew in yesterday! We had our friends from Casa Bernabe pick us up from the airport and they took us to Pollo Campero. I think it's was really awesome to have dinner with them. With my friend, Sara Drake Salguero, it was as time never passed.

As soon as we got to the orphanage, I don't think I've seen my friends as much because they are so busy! And I suppose Ashley and I have been "busy" too. And we had to get over being overwhelmed by our dorm room. There is a team of girls here. There are about 13 girls in the dorm and we share two showers and two toilets. We are all girls so there's plenty of luggage! Ashley and I got our stuff organized to where it's easily accessible and not taking up so much room. So that helped us get over our OVERWHELMED-ness!

This morning we woke up SUPER early to help at the school house with the special education class. It was sooo FUN! We helped them with the letter L! Luna, Lunes, Limon, Lisa, Luis, etc. The activities were so hands-on and really REALLY fun! I'll admit that I was a bit hesitant, but OMG - I LOVED it! At noon, the kids were free to go home. We told them that we liked it so much we will come back tomorrow - but their vacation starts tomorrow. Classes will resume July 5 and we WILL be there. Until then, we will be doing random things, ie caring for a house full of girls, working in the kitchen, etc.

Casa Bernabe has changed soooooo much! OMG - they have the most amazing garden that is seriously breath-taking! And extremely delicious, I might add. We had a salad straight from the garden today. YUM!

This elevation has me sooooo incredibly thirsty! I've been drinking more water than I have in my entire life!! Not such a bad thing, per se. It's just really hard to breathe and I think the water provides some extra oxygen! I don't think I've ever had any elevation problems before, except the one time I ran to the car at the top of a mountain in Colorado. I nearly passed out then. It's not as bad here, but there is a set of stairs that seems a mile long! My goal is to get to the top of the stairs without losing my breath by next Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm really excited about being here! I can't wait for more!!

1 comment:

  1. Mimi & Ashley!
    So great to hear how everything is going! Keep the updates coming!
    Love you both!
    -Valerie

    ReplyDelete